Interface Architecture for a Web-Based Group Decision Support System
Ana-Maria SUDUC, Mihai BÎZOI, Luminiţa DUŢĂ, Gabriel GORGHIU
VALAHIA University of Târgovişte
Bd. Carol I, Nr. 2, 130024, Târgovişte, Dâmboviţa, Romania
Abstract: With the exponential development of the web, the decision-makers are likely to use the web to support their decision -making processes. In group decision-making processes supported by an information system – web-based or desktop-based – one of the most important element which can influence in a great extent if the system will be or not accepted and successful used for decision making, is the user interface. In this paper, we propose an architecture of an interface for an ideal web-based group decision support system.
Keywords and phrases: Interface architectures, web-based interfaces, group decision support.
CITE THIS PAPER AS:
Ana-Maria SUDUC, Mihai BÎZOI, Luminiţa DUŢĂ, Gabriel GORGHIU, Interface Architecture for a Web-Based Group Decision Support System, Studies in Informatics and Control, ISSN 1220-1766, vol. 18 (3), pp. 241-246, 2009.
For the user, an appropriate user interface is “the most important determinant of the success of a decision support implementation” . Users expect from developers to create advanced interactive interfaces which are easy to use and easy to learn, without the need of reading many pages of manuals. Unfortunately these interfaces are difficult to design and implement. As user interface became easier to use, they became harder to create . In 1992, the results of a survey  indicated that 48% of an application code is dedicated to the user interface. Also the study has shown that 45% of the average time is dedicated to the user interface during
the design phase, 50% during the implementation phase and 37% during the maintenance phase. These results highlight the user interface importance and the need for tools to help developers to create complex interfaces in a shorter time . In group decision support systems, the interface is even harder to design seeing that the interface must create a context for individual experience and also for the common experience. A well-designed user interface makes the user comfortable with the system and also with the other team members. It can also increase human processing speed, reduce errors, increase productivity and create a sense of user control .
- Bîzoi, M., Arhitectura pentru system support pentru decizii bazat pe comunicatii – Communications-Driven DSS Architecture (in Romanian), 2009, Available: http://www.racai.ro/Referate/referat_2_Bizoi_web.pdf, Retrieved 05.08.09.
- Bîzoi, M., Sistem support pentru decizii bazat pe comunicatii: rezultate experimentale – Communications-Driven DSS: Experimental Results (in Romanian), 2009,Available: http://www.racai.ro/Referate/Referat_3_Bizoi_web.pdf, Retrieved 05.08.09.
- Bîzoi, M., Suduc, A. M. and Filip, F. G., Using Collaborative Platforms for Decision Support, Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Control Systems and Computer Science, CSCS-17, Romania, Vol. 2, 2009, pp. 349-352.
- Davis, J., Zaner, M., Farnham, S., Marcjan, C., and McCarthy, B. P., Wireless Brainstorming: Overcoming Status Effects in Small Group Decisions, Proceedings of the thirty-sixth Hawaii international conference on system sciences, 2003, Available: http://csdl.computer.org/comp/proceedings/hicss/2003/1874/01/187410046c.pdf, Retrieved 04.08.09.
- Filip, F. G., Sisteme suport pentru decizii (Decision Support Systems), Technical Publishing House, Bucharest, 2007, (in Romanian).
- Filip, F.G., Decision Support and Control for Large-scale Complex Systems, Annual Reviews in Control, No. 32, 2008, pp. 61-70.
- Gorry, G., M. Scott Morton, A Framework for Management Information Systems, Sloan Management Review, Vol. 13, No. 1, 1971, pp. 50-70.
- Hejda, P., Architectural Model for User Interfaces of Web-based Applications, in: Emiliani, Pier Luigi and Stephanidis, Constantine (eds.) Proceedings of the 6th ERCIM Workshop on User Interfaces for All, October 25-26, 2000, Florence, Italy. p. 6, Available: http://www.ui4all.gr/UI4ALL-2000/files/Short_papers/Hejda.pdf, Retrieved 04.08.09.
- Herrera, F., Herrera-Viedma, E. and Verdegay, J.L., A Model of Consensus in Group Decision Making under Linguistic Assessment, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol. 79, 1996, pp. 73-87.
- Huitt, W., Problem Solving and Decision Making: Consideration of Individual Differences Using the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Journal of Psychological Type, Vol. 24, 1992, pp. 33-44, Available: http://www.tcc.edu/welcome/collegeadmin/OIE/SOA/review/toolkit/documents/Article_Problem_Solving_and_Decision_Making_Journal-Psychological-Type_1992.pdf, Retrieved 05.08.09.
- Klein, E. E., Tellefsen T. and Herskovitz P. J., The Use of Group Support Systems in Focus Groups: Information Technology Meets Qualitative Research, Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 23, 2007, pp. 2113-2132.
- Klein, E. E., Clark, C. C., and Herskovitz, P. J., Philosophical dimensions of anonymity in group support systems: ethical implications of social psychological consequences, Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 19, 2003, pp. 355-382.
- Lu, J., Zhang, G. and Wu, F., Web-based Multi-Criteria Group Decision Support System with Linguistic Term Processing Function, IEEE Intelligent Informatics Bulletin, Vol. 5, No. 1, 2005, pp. 35-43, Available: http://www.comp.hkbu.edu.hk /~cib/2005/Jun/iib_vol5no1_article5.pdf, Retrieved 04.08.09.
- Myers, B.A. and Rosson, M.B., Survey on User Interface Programming, in: P. Bauersfeld, J. Bennett, G. Lynch (eds.): Striking a Balance. Proceedings CHI’92, New York: ACM Press, 1992, pp. 195-202.
- Power, D. J., Decision Support Systems: Concepts and Resources for Managers, Westport, CT: Quorum Books, 2002.
- Schlungbaum, E., Model-based User Interface Software Tools – Current State of Declarative Models, Technical Report 96-30, Graphics, Visualization and Usability Center, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1996, Available: http://smartech.gatech.edu/bitstream/1853/3516/1/96-30.pdf, Retrieved 04.08.09.
- Suduc, A. M., Arhitectura unei interfete avansate pentru un Sistem Suport pentru Decizii – Advanced Interface Architecture of a DSS (in Romanian), 2009, Available: http://www.racai.ro/Referate/REFERAT_2_SUDUC_ANA.pdf, Retrieved 05.08.09.
- sSuduc, A. M., Interfata avansata a unui SSD: Rezultate experimentale -Advanced Interface of a DSS: Experimental Results (in Romanian), 2009, Available http://www.racai.ro/Referate/Referat_3_Suduc_web.pdf, Retrieved 05.08.09.
- Suduc, A. M., Interfata avansata a unui SSD: Rezultate experimentale -Advanced Interface of a DSS: Experimental Results (in Romanian), 2009, Available http://www.racai.ro/Referate/Referat_3_Suduc_web.pdf, Retrieved 05.08.09.
- Van Der Veer, G. C., Van Vliet, H., The Human-Computer Interface is the System; A Plea for a Poor Man’s HCI Component in Software Engineering Curricula, In: Ramsey, D. Bourque, P., Dupuis, R. (eds.): Proc. 14th Conf. on Software Engineering Education & Training, IEEE, Piscataway NJ USA, 2001, pp. 276-286.
- Xie, Y., Wang, H., and Efstathiou, J., A Research Framework for Web-based Open Decision Support Systems, Knowledge-Based Systems, Vol. 18, No. 7, 2005, pp. 309-319.
- Zarate, P., Decision Making Process: A Collaborative Perspective, Studies in Informatics and Control, Vol. 17, No. 2, 2008, pp. 225-230.