Modelling and Control of Surge in Centrifugal Compression Based on Fuzzy Rule System
Ahmed HAFAIFA, Attia DAOUDI, Kouider LAROUSSI
Industrial Automation and Diagnosis Systems Laboratory,
Department of Science and Technology,
Science and Technology Faculty,
University of Djelfa 17000 DZ Algeria
email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Abstract: This paper presents the problem of robust design of surge controller in centrifugal compression system using fuzzy techniques. The use of fuzzy techniques in modelling and control has been important to reduce costs and losses of the system. In this paper, based on the fuzzy modelling and control, a new way to establish fuzzy logic controller is proposed. In this paper, the performance of the fuzzy controller has been designed to give a new control technique of surge in centrifugal compression system. The validation results show the effectiveness of the proposed approach in order to achieve desired performance.
Keywords: Compression system, centrifugal compressor, surge control, supervision system, fuzzy modelling, fuzzy control, surge phenomena.
CITE THIS PAPER AS:
Ahmed HAFAIFA, Attia DAOUDI, Kouider LAROUSSI, Modelling and Control of Surge in Centrifugal Compression Based on Fuzzy Rule System, Studies in Informatics and Control, ISSN 1220-1766, vol. 19 (4), pp. 347-356, 2010.
In recent years fuzzy logic has been an active area of research, many research efforts have been focused on fuzzy modelling and control issues based on the Takagi-Sugeno (TS) fuzzy model  and , which is described by fuzzy IF-THEN rules. For a nonlinear system that is transformed successfully into a T-S fuzzy model, the stability of the overall nonlinear system still cannot be guaranteed even if each subsystem of the T-S fuzzy model is stable. In this work, we propose a new fuzzy controller design for the supervision of a dynamical complex system, based on dynamic fuzzy model for control and supervision. The idea of model based fuzzy observers in supervision is to compare output signals of the model with the real measurements available in the process, thereby generating the indicators, which are fault indicators giving information about the location and timing of a fault.
This fuzzy supervisory approach requires precise mathematical relationships relating the model to the process, to allow the detection of small abrupt and incipient faults quickly and reliably. Many standard observer-based techniques exist in the literature providing different solutions to both the theoretical and practical aspects of supervision problem for linear and nonlinear system ,  and . Many of these procedures are based on the design of an unknown input observer robust with respect to the disturbances. If the disturbances and modelling errors are not properly taken into account in the estimation process, it is then likely that any attempt in monitoring the system’s health based on the observer leads to numerous false alarms. From this issue, many results had been obtained in order to get a representation of non linear systems under the form of multiple linear sub-models aggregated by fuzzy logic .
This paper describes tools and techniques that can and have been used to model transient flows and performance, mechanical and the minimum response time in compressor system control. The tools used by fuzzy logic include a method of characteristic transient flow analysis routine and finite time step programs that simulate control systems, valve actuators, and the opening (or closing) rate of valves with the resulting flows. The effects of volumes and lengths of station piping, scrubbers, and coolers including temperature effects are accounted for. Fuzzy logic models and control also track the performance of centrifugal compressors at different speeds, account for the rotation inertia of compressor trains, and evaluate the thermo physical properties of gas streams.
- Abdel-Hady, F., S. Abuelenin, Design and Simulation of a Fuzzy-Supervised PID Controller for a Magnetic Levitation System, Studies in Informatics and Control Journal, ICI Publishing House, vol. 17, no. 3, 2008, pp. 315-328.
- Benrejeb, M., D. Soudani, A. Sakly, P. Borne, New Discrete TSK Fuzzy Systems Characterization and Stability Domain. International Journal of Computers, Communications & Control, Agora University Editing House – CCC Publications, vol. 1, no. 4, 2006, pp. 9-19.
- Dieulot, J. Y., Fuzzy Control and Estimation Using Model Inversion. Studies in Informatics and Control Journal, ICI Publishing House, vol. 13, no. 3, 2004, pp. 153-160.
- Dieulot, J. Y., P. Borne, Inverse Fuzzy Sum-product Composition and Its Application to Fuzzy Linguistic Modelling. Studies in Informatics and Control SIC Journal, ICI Publishing House, vol. 14, no. 2, 2005, pp. 73-78.
- Galindo, J. R. Serrano, H. Climent, A. Tiseira, Experiments and Modelling of Surge in Small Centrifugal Compressor for Automotive Engines, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, Elsevier, vol. 32, no. 3, 2008, pp. 818-826.
- Gravdahl, J. T., O. Egeland, S. O. Vatland, Drive Torque Actuation in Active Surge Control of Centrifugal Compressors, Automatica, Elsevier, vol. 38, no. 11, 2002, pp. 1881-1893.
- Gravdahl, J. T., F. Willems, B. Jager De, O. Egeland, Modelling of Surge in Free-spool Centrifugal Compressors: Experimental Validation, Journal of Propulsion and Power, Elsevier, vol. 20, no. 5, 2004, pp. 849-857.
- Hafaifa, A., K. Laroussi, F. Laaouad, Robust Fuzzy Fault Detection and Isolation Approach Applied to the Surge in Centrifugal Compressor Modelling and Control, International Journal of Fuzzy Information and Engineering, Springer, vol.2 no.1, 2010, pp.49-73.
- Hafaifa, A., F. Laaouad, K. Laroussi, Fuzzy Approach Applied in Fault Detection and Isolation to the Compression System Control, Studies in Informatics and Control Journal, ICI Publishing House, vol. 19, no. 1, 2010, pp. 17-26.
- Hafaifa, A., F. Laaouad, K. Laroussi, Fuzzy Logic Approach Applied to the Surge Detection and Isolation in Centrifugal Compressor, Automatic Control and Computer Sciences Journal, Springer, vol. 44, no. 1, 2010, pp. 53-59.
- Hafaifa, A., F. Laaouad, M. Guemana, A New Engineering Method for Fuzzy Reliability Analysis of Surge Control in Centrifugal Compressor, American Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Science Publisher Inc, vol. 2, no. 4, 2009, pp. 676-682.
- Hafaifa, A, F Laaouad, K Laroussi, Fuzzy Modelling and Control for Detection and Isolation of Surge in Industrial Centrifugal Compressors, Journal of Automatic Control, University of Belgrade, vol.19, no.1, 2009, pp.19-26.
- Hafaifa, A., F. Laaouad, A. Aleb, Advanced Methods for Time-varying and Nonlinear Processes Using Fuzzy Logic, Proceeding of the 8th International Conference on Computer Modelling and Simulation, 8th ICCMS in Oxford UK, no. 155, 2005, pp. 27-33.
- Helvoirt, J. V., B. D. Jager, Dynamic Model Including Piping Acoustics of a Centrifugal Compression System, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Elsevier, vol. 302, no. 1-2, 2007, pp. 361-378.
- Moise, G., Applying Fuzzy Control in the Online Learning Systems. Studies in Informatics and Control Journal, ICI Publishing House, vol. 18, no. 2, 2009, pp. 165-172.
- Nayfeh, M., E. H. Abed, High-gain Feedback Control of Rotating Stall in Axial Flow Compressors, Automatica, Elsevier, vol. 38, no. 6, 2002, pp. 995-1001.
- Paduano, J. D., E. M. Greitzer, A. H. Epstein, Compression System Stability and Active Control, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, Elsevier, vol. 33, 2001, pp. 491-517.
- Pop, B., I. Dzitac, Fuzzy Control Rules in Convex Optimization. Studies in Informatics and Control Journal, ICI Publishing House, vol. 15, no. 4, 2007, pp. 363-366.
- Pop, B., I. Dzitac, Mixed Variables Fuzzy Programming Algorithm. Studies in Informatics and Control Journal, Publishing House, vol. 16, no. 2, 2007, pp. 185-190.
- Rudas, I. J., L. Horváth, Intelligence for Assistance of Engineering Decisions in Modelling Systems, Studies in Informatics and Control Journal, ICI Publishing House, vol. 15, no. 03, 2006, pp. 297-306.
- Sakly, A., B. Zahra, M. Benrejeb, Stability Study of Mamdani’s Fuzzy Controllers Applied to Linear Plants, Studies in Informatics and Control Journal, ICI Publishing House, vol. 17, no. 4, 2008, pp. 441-452.
- Spakovsky, Z. S., J. B. Gertz, O. P. Sharma, J. D. Paduano, A. H. Epstein, E. M. Greitzer, Influence of Compressor Deterioration on Engine Dynamic Behaviours and Transient Surge Margin, ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 122, no. 3, 2000, pp. 477-484.