A Subsystem Designed for Mobile Business Management
– SELCOM – Value Chain
Mihaela TOMESCU1, Daniel SAVU1, Eugen POP2
1 I C I Bucharest
(National Institute for R & D in Informatics)
8-10 Averescu Blvd.
011455 Bucharest 1, Romania
2 Research Development, Engineering and Manufacturing for
Automation Equipment and Systems – S.C. IPA S.A.,
Abstract: The article presents the SELCOM – Value Chain subsystem designed for mobile business management which is a part of the Integrated ebusiness platform dedicated to the provision of services through 3G mobile communication networks – SELCOM. The SELCOM – Value Chain subsystem is included in the SELCOM platform and assures the assistance of the chain of processes that represent values of a business entity based on the usage of Information and Communication Technologies (ITC). SELCOM platform is a hardware and software integrated platform based on a client-server architecture dedicated to the provision of ebusiness services through 3G mobile communication networks. Significant features of 3G systems are that they support much higher data transmission rates and offer increased capacity, which makes them suitable for high-speed data applications as well as for the traditional voice calls.
Keywords: Value chain management for mobile business, ebusiness services, 3G mobile communication networks, dynamic modelling.
CITE THIS PAPER AS:
Mihaela TOMESCU, Daniel SAVU, Eugen POP, A Subsystem Designed for Mobile Business Management – SELCOM – Value Chain, Studies in Informatics and Control, ISSN 1220-1766, vol. 19 (2), pp. 411-418, 2010.
International Mobile Telecommunications-2000 (IMT-2000), better known as 3G or 3rd Generation, is a generation of standards for mobile phones and mobile telecommunications services meeting the technical specifications established by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) .
3G mobile telephone networks are the latest stage in the development of wireless communications technology . Significant features of 3G systems are that they support much higher data transmission rates and offer increased capacity, which makes them suitable for high-speed data applications as well as for the traditional voice calls. These systems are designed to process data; the voice signals are converted to digital data, fact that allows that speech to be dealt with in much the same way as any other form of data [3-4].
The benefits of higher data rates and greater bandwidth mean that 3G mobile phones can offer to subscribers a wide range of data services, such as mobile Internet access and multimedia applications. A 3G handset provides many new features and the possibilities for new services are almost limitless, including many popular applications such as TV streaming, multimedia, videoconferencing, Web browsing, e-mail, paging, fax, and navigational maps.
SELCOM platform is developed during the project “Integrated ebusiness platform dedicated to the provision of services through 3G mobile communication networks – SELCOM”. The main objective of the project is to develop a hardware and software integrated platform based on a client-server architecture dedicated to the provision of ebusiness services through 3G mobile communication networks .
SELCOM platform provides ebusiness services in the ecommerce and financial transactions areas and it allows the integration of these ebusiness services with basic services for the localisation of users and clients in the 3G mobile communication network . Through the 3G mobile communication terminals and networks, the client accesses and uses the electronic service benefiting of mobility and a low price for the data traffic.
The software framework is configurable depending on the needs of the business entities because it allows access to databases, interconnection for the purpose of providing electronic content, Web services etc.
The complexity of functional, hardware and software architecture confers to the SELCOM platform an integrated and open feature.
The hardware structure of the integrated platform is formed by the server of the business entity and 3G mobile terminals of the clients and the potential users. The software server application resides on the server of the business entity and connects to Internet through a cabled connection and software client application resides on the mobile terminal of the user of the electronic service. The server hosts ebusiness applications for electronic commerce and financial transactions. The integrated structure of the platform enables users to access services based on location of the clients in 3G mobile telephone networks.
The software server application is implemented as a portal and offers software modules, functions and resources to the business entity for the development and provision of electronic services.
The software client applications are designed to be installed on different 3G mobile terminals, smartphones and Personal Digital Assistants (PDA) with operating systems as Symbian, Windows for Mobile, etc., used by clients to access the electronic services. The client application performs data traffic in 3G networks and also accesses services and protocols such as Global Package Radio Service (GPRS) , Enhanced Data GSM Environment (EDGE), Wireless Application Protocol (WAP), Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM), Short Message Service (SMS), Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS), e-mail, Wi-Fi.
The article presents the SELCOM – Value Chain subsystem designed for mobile business management which is included in the SELCOM platform and provides assistance to the chain of processes that represent valuable assets for an entity which makes use of Information and Communication Technologies (ITC).
- 3G, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G.
- 3G – Third Generation networks, http://www.mobile-phone-directory.org/Technology/3G_-_Third_Generation/.
- Cellular Standards for the Third Generation, ITU, 1 December 2005. http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/imt-2000/technology. html#Cellular%20Standards%20for%20the%20Third%20Generation.
- Security for the Third Generation (3G) Mobile System, Network Systems & Security Technologies. http://www.isrc.rhul.ac.uk/useca/OtherPublications/3G_UMTS%20Security.pdf.
- Platformă integrată e-business pentru furnizarea de servicii prin reţele de comunicaţii mobile 3G – SELCOM, http://comunicatii.ipa.ro/selcom/index.html.
- HRIN, G. R., L. E. ANGHEL, M. TOMESCU, D. SAVU, Mobile communication platform for business services – MOBACCES, Studies in Informatics and Control ISSN: 1220 – 1766, Vol. 17, No. 3, 2008, pp. 253-258.
- HALONEN, T., J. MELERO, J. ROMERO GARCIA, GSM, GPRS and EDGE Performance: Evolution Toward 3G/UMTS, May 13, 2002, p. 352
- Vodapalli, T. K., Critical Success Factors of BI Implementation, IT University of Copenhagen. http://mit.itu.dk/ucs/pb/download/BI%20Thesis%20Report-New.pdf?file_id=871821. 11 November 2009.
- PUGNA, I. B., F. ALBESCU, D. BĂBEANU, The role of Business Intelligence in Business Performance Management,http://steconomice.uoradea .ro/anale/volume/2009/v4-management-and-marketing/210.pdf, 2009.
- COKINS, G., Performance Management: Integrating Strategy Execution, Methodologies, Risk, and Analytics, ISBN 978-0-470-44998-1, 2009.
- NORTON P., S. WILLIAM,
- Ghid de programare în Java, TEORA Publishing House, Bucharest, Romania, 1997.
- BOIAN, F. M. Programarea distribuită în Internet, metode şi aplicaţii, Albastră Publishing House, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, 1997.
- ANGHEL, T., Dezvoltarea aplicaţiilor web folosind PHP şi AJAX, Edusoft Publishing House, 2008.