Implementation of Context-Aware Based Robot Control System
for Automatic Postal Logistics
Moon Sun SHIN1, Myeong Cheol KO1, Yong Wan JU2, Young Jin JUNG3, Bum Ju LEE4
1 Department of Computer Engineering, Konkuk University,
Danwol-dong, Chungju-si, Chungbuk , 380-701, Korea,
2 Division of Industry Development, Korea Internet & Security Agency,
3 Department of Cyber-infrastructure Development, KISTI,
Yuseong-gu, Deajeon, 305-811, Korea,
4 Division of Constitutional Medicine Research,
Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine,
Yuseong-gu, Deajeon, 305-811, Korea,
Abstract: These days, the size of the Internet market, the use of parcels increases every year. Currently, in local delivery centers, the sorting of parcels has been processed manually. The manual process requires much time and high cost. Also it causes occupational injury and musculoskeletal diseases. Therefore it is necessary that the current method should be replaced with automatic smart robot manipulators. In this paper, we propose a robot control system with a context aware mechanism for generating information to control the movement of a robot, which automatically sorts parcels. The context aware mechanism generates intelligent information to control a robot using context data such as the parcel shape, weight, location and barcodes. Our robot control system collects context data of the parcel and carries out the reasoning of robot control data to pick up and drop parcels according to contexts. It also generates optimal delivery path using GIS engine. Then a robot manipulator, which receives control data of picking-up and dropping, processes the automated sorting of parcels according to delivery persons and delivery routes. It will be useful to save much time and cost by automating the parcel delivery sorting process, thus reducing frequency of industrial accidents.
Keywords: Robot Manipulator, Context Aware System, Robot Control System, Delivery Logistics, Parcel Sorting.
CITE THIS PAPER AS:
Moon Sun SHIN, Myeong Cheol KO, Jong Wan JU, Young Jin JUNG, Bum Ju LEE, Implementation of Context-Aware Based Robot Control System for Automatic Postal Logistics, Studies in Informatics and Control, ISSN 1220-1766, vol. 22 (1), pp. 71-80, 2013. https://doi.org/10.24846/v22i1y201308
These days, the number of people using e-commerce and the mobile Internet increases rapidly. Therefore, the quantity of delivery logistics increases accordingly every year. The parcel sorting operation in the current logistics industry is carried out mechanically using an automated sorter installed at a large distribution center . However, the sorting process, which classifies parcels according to delivery orders, is manually done by deliverers working at local delivery centers such as local post offices. The parcel delivery sorting operation consists of two steps. This first step is the initial sorting, where arrived parcels are sorted according to deliverers. The second step involves sorting the parcels according to the delivery order.
The two steps mean that the parcels are sorted within each delivery person’s assigned area. Due to the volume and weight of parcels, the issues of excessive labor and industrial accidents can arise.
A robot manipulator can be applied to those working conditions to automate parcel sorting. Robot manipulators are widely used to efficiently conduct products distribution in many other industries such as automobile and electronic industries . Generally a robot manipulator only conducts the same operation repeatedly . It usually operates a process, which is a pre-programmed process according to standard size of products . However, we cannot use the existing robot manipulator for automated parcel sorting because parcels have various shapes and different sizes. The use of context is important in interactive applications .
A new robot manipulator, which is able to recognize information concerning the different size and weight of parcels, is needed in the delivery logistics industry .
We proposed context aware model to automate parcel sorting in delivery logistics in our previous work . Here, we design and implement a robot control system, which creates ‘pickup and drop’ control information in order to control the robot operation for each parcel and figures out optimal shortest path for delivery. After it receives parcel information such as theshapes of parcels or transport information from the sensors, it generates control information and sends it to a robot manipulator to carry out parcel sorting according to deliverymen and delivery routes. To do so, it is necessary to develop a robot control system consisted with a context aware system and a sorting plan system with GIS engine regarding parcels accordingly.
The rest of the paper is organized as follows. Section 2 describes the process of the automatic parcel sorting and Section 3 describes in detail the implementation of the proposed robot control system. Section 4 explains how the proposed system works and Section 5 contains a brief conclusion.
- JEONG, I.-C., H.-S. KIM, H. KIM, Future Robotic Terminal based IT Convergence Analysis of Electronics and Communications Trends, Vol. 25(4), August 2010, pp.16-17.
- LEE, J.-J., Robust Adaptive Control for Underactuated Robot Manipulators Doctoral thesis — Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology: Department of Electrical Engineering, 1999, p.19.
- SUSNEA, I., G. VASILIU, On Using Passive RFID Tags to Control Robots for Path Following, Studies in Informatics and Control, vol. 20(2), 2011, pp. 157-162, ISSN 1220-1766.
- CHO, J.-H., A Context Awareness and Prediction Support System for Efficient Management of u-City The Graduate School of Chung-Ang University, PhD thesis, 2011, pp. 55-85.
- LEDEY, A., G. ABOWD, Towards a Better Understanding of Context and Context-Awareness, Workshop on the what, who, where, when and how of context-awareness at CHI 2000, 2000.
- RANGANATHAN, A., R. H. CAMPBELL, A Middleware for Context-aware Agents in Ubiquitous Computing Environments, In: ACM/IFIP/USENIX International Middleware Conference, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2003.
- BRASSAI, S. T., B. IANTOVICS, C, ENACHESCU, Optimization of Robotic Mobile Agent Navigation, Studies in Informatics and Control, vol. 21(4), 2012, pp. 403-412, ISSN 1220-1766.
- YAU, S. S., F. KARIM, Y. WANG, B. WANG, S. GUPTA, Reconfigurable Context-sensitive Middleware for Pervasive Computing, IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol. 1(3), 2002, pp.33-40.
- KIM, T. H., D. M. SHIN, M. S. KIM, J. S. KIM, K. H. RYU, M. S. SHIN, An Ontology based Context Aware System to Control the Robot Manipulator in Delivery Logistics Industry, In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Information Science and Industrial Applications, ISSN 2287-1233, pp. 221-226, Cebu, May 2012.
- W3C, OWL2 Web Ontology Language, W3C Recommendation 27 October, 2009, http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-overview/