Type-1 and Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Controller Based Multilevel DSTATCOM
Foudil BENZERAFA, Abelhalim TLEMÇANI, Karim SEBAA
Laboratoire de Recherche en Electrotechnique et en Automatique,
University of Médéa, Médéa, Algeria
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Abstract: DSTATCOM (Distribution Static Compensator) is a shunt device. It is used to solve power quality problems in distribution systems. DSTATCOM is a shunt device used in correcting power factor, maintaining constant distribution voltage and mitigating harmonics in a distribution network. This paper presents a comparison of the performances of Type-1 and Type-2 Fuzzy logic controlled multilevel DSTATCOM for improvement of electric power, and corrects the power factor. The pulses for the five-level inverter are generated by Space Vector Modulation (SVM). The performance of Type-1 and Type-2 fuzzy logic controllers under load variation is evaluate using simulation results in MATLAB/Simulink.
Keywords: DSTATCOM; Fuzzy logic controller; Space Vector Modulation (SVM).
CITE THIS PAPER AS:
Foudil BENZERAFA, Abelhalim TLEMÇANI, Karim SEBAA, Type-1 and Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Controller Based Multilevel DSTATCOM Using SVM, Studies in Informatics and Control, ISSN 1220-1766, vol. 25(1), pp. 87-98, 2016.
Today, due to the rise in large variety of loads which pollute the power system and the use of power semiconductor components that increase power quality problems the maintenance and improvement of power quality in a power system is extremely important . We can reduce the network losses and improve the quality of power by the compensation of reactive power in distribution network . The control of reactive power using DSTATCOM can solve many power quality problems faced by distribution systems . DSTATCOM is a custom power device connected in shunt with the distribution networks. It is used for reactive power compensation, voltage regulation, load balancing and power factor correction in distribution network .
Recently, multilevel inverters are used to realize the DSTATCOM . There exist several types of multilevel inverters: cascaded H-bridge, diode clamped, flying capacitors . The advantages of multilevel inverters are: less harmonic content, induces good power quality, lower switching losses, lower voltage distortion and eliminate the use of transformers [7-9].
To improve the performance of DSTATCOM and depending on the controlled power system parameter, various control strategies have been proposed for DSTATCOM control, such as: direct/indirect current control algorithm, instantaneous reactive power control, symmetrical component method, and double loop control strategy. These control strategies use different types of controllers, such as: PI, fuzzy, neural and hybrid controllers [10-12]. In recent years, investigation of fuzzy theory application in power system control grows rapidly [13-16]. The fuzzy logic controllers have many advantages compared with conventional controllers such as: no need to accurate mathematical model, irregularities in system parameters and it is easy to be implemented.
Recently, a large volume of literature have been used Fuzzy Logic Controllers (FLC) in the control of D-STATCOM. In , Srinivas proposed fuzzy, PI and hybrid fuzzy-PI controllers for STATCOM, to utilize the advantages of both fuzzy and PI controllers. The control algorithm was based on the double-loop control strategy; the desired (reference) reactive current produced by fuzzy controller, while the DC link voltage was controlled by PI controller. In , investigated and implemented the Fuzzy-PI control of DSTATCOM based on the double-loop control strategy. A fuzzy adjuster was added to tune the parameters of the PI controllers. In , a fuzzy logic based supervisory method is proposed to improve transient performance of the dc link. The fuzzy logic based supervisor varies the proportional and integral gains of the PI controller during the transient period immediately after a load change. In , a fuzzy logic STATCOM controller design with generator speed deviation and acceleration as the input. The fuzzy controller was evaluated by comparing its performance with the classical PI control. All fuzzy logic systems presented in literature for the control of D-STATCOM focus on the conventional Type-1 FLSs. However, this type has disadvantage in terms of dynamic uncertainties present at inputs, a novel concept which is called type-2 fuzzy system has been studied to improve the uncertainty handling ability. The concept of type 2 fuzzy sets was proposed by Zadeh in 1975 to overcome the limitation of Type-1 fuzzy sets to model and minimize the effect of uncertainties. Recently, studies on the Type-2 fuzzy logic systems have obtained growing attention from researchers due their ability to handle uncertainty and he have shown that it provide good solutions due to having more degrees of freedom in design aspects [21-24].
In this work, Type-1 and Type-2 fuzzy logic controllers are proposed for the control of DSTATCOM, with the aim of compensates reactive power and corrects the power factors. The power circuit of DSTATCOM contains five-level NPC inverter; gate pulses for this inverter are generated with SVM technique. The aim of the work is shows to implement DSTATCOM with control strategies in the MATLAB, Simulink using Simpower® toolbox and to verify the results; various case studies applying different loads.
- SECUI, D. K., S. DZITAC, G. V. BENDEA, I. DZITAC, An ACO Algorithm for Optimal Capacitor Banks Placement in Power Distribution Networks, Studies in Informatics and Control, vol. 18, no. 4, 2009, pp. 305-314.
- HOOSHMAND, R., E. TORABIAN, Adaptive Filter Design Based on the LMS Algorithm for Delay Elimination in Tcr/Fc Compensators, ISA Trans 2011, vol. 50, no. 2, 2011, pp. 142-149.
- MURUGESAN, K., R. MUTHU, S. VIJAYENTHIRAN, J. MERVIN, Prototype Hardware Realization of the DSTATCOM for Reactive Power Compensation, International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, vol. 65, 2015, pp. 169-178.
- SHARMA, R., P. NIJHAWAN, Effectiveness of DSTATCOM to Compensate the Load Current Harmonics in Distribution Networks under Various Operating Conditions, International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Technology, vol. 2, no. 7, 2013, pp. 713-718.
- GAWANDE, S. P., M. R. RAMTEKE, Three-level NPC Inverter based New DSTATCOM Topologies and Their Performance Evaluation for Load Compensation, International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, vol. 61, 2014, pp. 576-584.
- SOTO, J. S., F. Z. PENG, Multilevel Converters-a New Breed of Power Converters, Transactions on Industry Applications, IEEE, vol. 32, no. 3, 1996, pp. 509-517.
- SHUKLA, A., A. GHOSH, A. JOSHI, State Feedback Control of Multilevel Inverters for DSTATCOM Applications, Power Delivery, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 22, no. 4, 2007, pp. 2409-2418.
- SOTO, D., J. BORQUEZ, Control of a Modular Multilevel Matrix Converter for High Power Applications, Studies in Informatics and Control, vol. 21, no. 1, 2012, pp. 85-92.
- DALESSANDRO, L., S. D. ROUND, J. W. KOLAR, Center-point Voltage Balancing of Hysteresis Current Controlled Three-level PWM Rectifiers, Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 23, no. 5, 2008, pp. 2477-2488.
- SINGH, B., K. DUBE, S. R. ARYA, An Improved Control Algorithm of DSTATCOM for Power Quality Improvement, International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, vol. 64, 2015, pp. 493-504.
- AJAMI, A., N. TAHERI, A Hybrid Fuzzy/LQR Based Oscillation Damping Controller Using 3-level STATCOM, International Journal of Computer Electronics Engineering, vol. 3, no. 2, 2011, pp. 184-189.
- MARIUN, N., H. HIZAM, A. W. N. IZZRI, Design of the Pole Placement Controller for D-STATCOM in Mitigating Three Phase Fault, Power Engineering Society Inaugural Conference and Exposition in Africa, 2005 IEEE, 2005, pp. 349-355.
- GUPTA, A., P. R. SHARMA , Design and Simulation of Fuzzy Logic Controller for DSTATCOM in Power System, International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, vol. 3, no. 10, 2011, pp. 7815-7822.
- HAFAIFA, A., F. LAAOUAD, K. LAROUSSI, Fuzzy Approach Applied in Fault Detection and Isolation to the Compression System Control, Studies in Informatics and Control, ICI Publishing House, vol. 19, no1, 2010, pp. 17-26.
- MIKKILI, S., A. K. PANDA , Real-time Implementation of PI and Fuzzy Logic Controllers based Shunt Active Filter Control Strategies for Power Quality Improvement, International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, vol. 43, no. 1, 2012, pp. 1114 – 1126.
- SAAD, S., L. ZELLOUMA , Fuzzy Logic Controller for Three-level Shunt Active Filter Compensating Harmonics and Reactive Power, Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 79, no. 10, 2009, pp. 1337-1341.
- SRINIVAS, K. V., B. SINGH, A. CHANDRA, New Control Strategy of Two-Level 12-Pulse VSCs Based Statcom Using Hybrid Fuzzy-PI Controller, Indian Institute of Technology, 2010.
- CHATTERJEE, S. A., K. D. JOSHI, A Comparison of Conventional, Direct-Output-Voltage and Fuzzy-PI Control Strategies for D-STATCOM, in Modern Electric Power Systems, 2010, pp. 1-6.
- KUMAR, N. M. G., P. S. RAJU, P. VENKATESH, Control of DC Capacitor Voltage in a DSTATCOM using Fuzzy Logic Controller, Int. Journal of Advances in Engineering & Technology, 2012.
- RAHIM, A. H. M. A., S. A. AL-BAIYAT, M. F. KANDLAWALA, A Fuzzy STATCOM Control for power System Damping Enhancement, In: 2nd IEEE-GCC conference IEEE-GCC Conference, 2004, pp. 463-467.
- BARKAT, S., A. TLEMÇANI, H. NOURI, Noninteracting Adaptive Control of PMSM using Interval Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Systems, Fuzzy Systems, IEEE Trans., vol. 19, no. 5, 2011, pp. 925-936.
- HAGRAS, H., Type-2 FLCs: a New Generation of Fuzzy Controllers, Computational Intelligence Magazine, IEE, vol. 2, no. 1, 2007, pp. 30-34.
- KARNIK, N. N., J. M. MENDEL, Q. LIANG, Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Systems, Fuzzy Systems, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 7, no. 6, 1999, pp. 643-658.
- PANDA, M. K., G. PILLAI, V. KUMAR, An Interval Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Controller for TCSC to Improve the Damping of Power System Oscillations, Frontiers in Energy, vol. 7, no. 3, 2013, pp. 307-316.
- JUNG, J. W., Space Vector PWM Inverter, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ohio State University.
- RATHNAKUMAR, D., J. LAKSHMANA PERUMAL, T. SRINIVASAN, A New Software Implementation of Space Vector PWM, SoutheastCon, IEEE Proceedings, 2005.
- LALILI, J., N. LOURCI, E. M. BERKOUK, F. PETZOLDT, M. Y. DALI, A Simplified Space Vector Pulse Width Modulation Algorithm for Five Level Diode Clamping Inverter, Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion, SPEEDAM 2006. International Symposium on. IEEE, 2006, pp. 1349-1354.
- HU, H., W. YAO, Z. LU, Design and Implementation of Three-level Space Vector PWM IP Core for FPGAs, Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 22, no. 6, 2007, pp. 2234-2244.
- LI, Y., B. WU, A Novel DC Voltage Detection Technique in the CHB Inverter-based STATCOM, Power Delivery, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 23, no. 3, 2008, pp. 1613-1619.
- LEE, T. S., S. TZENG, M. S. CHONG, Fuzzy Iterative Learning Control for Three-phase Shunt Active Power Filters, Industrial Electronics, IEEE International Symposium on, vol. 2, 2006, pp. 882-885.
- JAIN, S. K., P. AGRAWAL, H. O. GUPTA, Fuzzy Logic Controlled Shunt Active Power Filter for Power Quality Improvement, IEE Proceedings-Electric Power Applications, vol. 149, no. 5, 2002, pp. 317-328.
- MENDEL, J.M., Uncertain Rule-Based Fuzzy Logic Systems: Introduction and New Directions, Prentice Hall, 2001.
- BULER, H., Règles par logique floue, Presse polytechnique romandes, vol. 2, Suisse, 1994.
- ZADEH, L. A., The Concept of a Linguistic Variable and Its Application to Approximate Reasoning, Information Sciences, vol. 08, 1975, pp. 199-249.
- LIANG, Q., J. M. MENDEL, Interval Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Systems: Theory and Design, Fuzzy Systems, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 08, no. 05, 2000, pp. 535-550.
- MENDEL, J. M., R. I. B. JOHN, Type-2 Fuzzy Sets Made Simple, Fuzzy Systems, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 10, no. 02, 2002, pp. 117-127.
- MENDEL, J. M., Uncertain Rule-based Fuzzy Logic System: Introduction and New Directions, 2001.
- CASTILLO, O., Type-2 Fuzzy Logic in Intelligent Control Applications, Heidelberg: Springer, vol. 272, 2012.
* This paper is an extended version of the paper called “Design and simulation of five-level inverter based DSTATCOM using fuzzy logic”, published in the 6th International Renewable Energy Congress (IREC), 2015 pages: 1-6, DOI: 10.1109/IREC.2015.7110875. In the current paper, a novel control method based on type-2 fuzzy systems is used to improve the power quality. The control algorithm is presented and a set of simulations is carried out in order to prove the good performances of the proposed solution. We also compared the proposed method with the work presented in the IREC 2015.