Towards Intelligent Collaborative
Decision Support Platforms
Ciprian CANDEA1, Florin Gheorghe FILIP2
1 ROPARDO Ltd.,
2A, Reconstructiei Street,
Sibiu, RO-550129, Romania
2 The Romanian Academy (BAR and INCE),
125, Calea Victoriei,
Bucharest RO-910071, Romania
Abstract: The paper is about the use of new concepts and information technologies (IT) in the field of computer supported group decision-making. iDS (intelligent DecisionSupport) , a practical IT platform that supports the activities in the group decision-making is used as a vehicle to illustrate the methodology and evolution of the solution adopted under the influence of new information technologies and practical applications. iDS has been designed and evolved to be useful, usable and used, by avoiding the need for complex training and preventing user rejection. It provides a collaborative working environment where group members can create and attend different types of decision sessions, named ‘work sessions’. The iDS platform covers collaborative and group decision sessions, as well as individual decision sessions in a way that users on each decision stage are free to collaborate with other users.
Keywords: cloud computing, decision-making model, mobile computing, service oriented solutions, workflow.
CITE THIS PAPER AS:
Ciprian CANDEA, Florin Gheorghe FILIP, Towards Intelligent Collaborative Decision Support Platforms, Studies in Informatics and Control, ISSN 1220-1766, vol. 25(2), pp. 143-152, 2016.
As presented in (Keen 1980: Filip 1995, 2008; Power and Phillips-Wren 2011; Borne et al 2013: p 295), the systems meant to support decisions evolve under the influence of various factors such users’ requirements and skills, technology development, usage practice and results and so on. The story of DISPATCHER family of DSS (decision support systems) designed, evolved and used in continuous process industry in 1980’s and early 2000’s (Figure 1) is described in (Filip, 2011, 2012). Since then the technology and business models changed at a high pace and new solutions have been designed and deployed.
Groups represent a special case that assumes several people, possibly located in different places, are involved in decision-making activities(Filip, 2008). The modern information technologies such as mobile computing, web technology and service oriented architectures enable the implementation and deployment of effective solutions. The paper presents iDS, a practical IT platform meant to support group decision-making activities, which is used as a vehicle to illustrate the modern technologies and the evolutions in the field of computer supported group decision-making.
From a technical point of view, iDecisionSupport has been developed as a “framework for decision support tools that provides a collaborative environment where different software tools for decision making can be easily integrated while the users can access them remotely and asynchronously” (Georgescu et al 2007). To actively support user needs, the iDS platform facilitates each step of the decision making process – intelligence, design, choice, and implementation and review. For each of these phases, at least one software tool is provided so that the user could select and use the most appropriate one. To ensure a full flexibility and to respond to various application specific needs, iDS allows integrating third party tools.
The default set of tools proposed are:
- the discussion list (a forum-like tool for discussions),
- voting (a tool that allows grading or expressing the agreements over a set of issues),
- electronic brainstorming based on the Issue Based Information System (IBIS) approach (Conklin 2003; Conklin and Begeman, 1988),
- Mind Map (Buzan 2003), and
- Categorization (Sebastiani 2002).
The decision model that is implemented on the iDS platform is based on the Shared Plans theory (Grosz and Kraus 2002) and it was tested for the first time as a software prototype in 2001, as described in (Zamfirescu et al 2002).
- BORNE, P., D. POPESCU, F. G. FILIP, D. STEFANOIU, Optimization in Engineering Sciences. Exact Metods, J. Wiley& Sons, London, 2010.
- BUZAN, T., The Ultimate Book of Mind Maps: Unlock YourC, Boost Your Memory, Change Your Life, Harper Collins, 2005.
- CANDEA, C., G. CANDEA, F. G. FILIP, iDecisionSupport – Web-based Framework for Decision Support Systems, in Proceedings of the 14th IFAC Symposium on Information Control Problems in Manufacturing, INCOM 2012, pp. 1117-1122.
- CANDEA, C., G. CANDEA, i-Portal and Factory Hub. In: Caneta, L., Flores, M., Redaelli, C., eds, Digital Factory for Human Centred Production Systems, Springer, London, 2011: pp 271-282.
- CANDEA C., A. GEORGESCU, G. CANDEA, iPortal-Management Framework for Mobile Business, 2008; In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Manufacturing Science and Education MSE 2009, Sibiu, Romania, ISSN 1843 – 2522, 4-6 June.
- CANDEA, C., G. CANDEA, C. RADU, W. TERKAJ, M. SACCO, O. SUCIU, A Practical Use of the Virtual Factory Framework. In: 14th International Conference on Modern Information Technology in the Innovation Process of the Industrial Enterprises, Budapest, Hungary, 2012.: p 256-266). (available at https://igor.xen.emi.sztaki.hu/mitip/media/MITIP2012_proceedings.pdf#page=256%20 (literal accessed on 26.01.2016).
- CLARK, J., Xsl Transformations (xslt), World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), 1999. (available at http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt accessed on 25.01.2015).
- CONKLIN, J., The IBIS Manual: A Short Course in IBIS Methodology, Touchstone, 2003.
- CONKLIN, J., M. L. BEGEMAN, gIBIS: A Hypertext Tool for Exploratory Policy Discussion. ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS), 1998, vol. 6(4), pp. 303-331.
- FILIP, F. G., Towards More Humanized Real-time Decision Support Systems, in: L. Camarinha-Matos, H. Afsarmanesh, eds, Balanced Automation Systems: Architectures and Design Methods, Chapman & Hall, 1995: pp. 230-240.
- FILIP, F. G., Decision Support and Control for Large-scale Complex Systems, Annual Reviews in Control, 2008, vol. 32(1), pp. 61-70.
- FILIP, F. G., Designing and Building Modern Information Systems: a Series of Decisions to Be Made, Computer Science Journal of Moldova, 2011, pp. 119-129.
- FILIP, F. G., A Decision-making Perspective for Designing and Building Information Systems. International Journal of Computers Communications and Control, 2012, vol. 7(2), pp. 264-272.
- FININ, T., R. FRITZSON, D. MCKAY, R. MCENTIRE, KQML as An Agent Communication Language. In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, 1994, ACM: pp. 456-463.
- GEORGESCU, V., C. CANDEA, C. B. ZAMFIRESCU, iGDSS – Software Framework for Group Decision Support Systems, In: Sapio, B., Fortunati, L., Haddon, L., Kommonen, K-H., Mante-Meijer, E., Turk, T., eds, Proceedings, The Bad and The Unexpected Conference, COST Action 298 ”Participation in the Broadband Society”, European Science Foundation, Moscow, Russian Federation, 2007, ISBN: 5-901907-17-5 (available at http://www.iis.ru/en/content/view/328/91/, accessed on 25.01.2016).
- GROSZ, B., S. KRAUS, Collaborative Plans for Complex Group Action. AI, 1996, vol. 86, pp. 269-357.
- JAIN, S., Virtual Factory Framework: a Key Enabler for Agile Manufacturing, In Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation, 1995. ETFA’95, Proceedings, 1995 INRIA/IEEE Symposium on, Vol. 1: pp. 247-258, IEEE.
- KEEN, P., Adaptive Design for Decision Support Systems, Data Base, 1980, vol. 12(1), pp. 15-25.
- OPREAN, C., C. V. KIFOR, S. C. NEGULESCU, C. CANDEA, C. OPREAN, eCollaborativeDecisions – a DSS for Academic Environment. In: Proceedings of the World Congress on Science, Engineering and Technology & International Conference on Computer, Electrical, and Systems Science, and Engineering, 2009, pp. 173-179.
- OPREAN, C., I. MOISIL, C. CANDEA, eUniv: An e-Business Solution for a University Academic Environment, In: Proceedings of 3rd Global Congress on Engineering Education, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom, ISBN 0732622018, 2002, pp. 363-366,
- POWER, D. J., G. PHILLIPS-WREN, Impact of Social Media and Web 2.0 on Decision-making. Journal of decision systems, 2003, vol. 20(3), pp. 249-261.
- RADU, C., C. CANDEA, G. CANDEA, C. B. ZAMFIRESCU, Towards a Cloud-Based Group Decision Support System, In A. Bădică et al. (Eds.) Recent Developments in Computational Collective Intelligence, Studies in Computational Intelligence, Springer, vol. 513, 2014, pp. 187-196.
- SACCO, M., C. RADAELLI, C. CANDEA, V. GEORGESCU, DiFac: An Integrated Scenario for the Digital Factory, In: Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Concurrent Enterprising, ICE 2009, Leiden, The Netherlands, ISBN 978-0-85358-259-5 (available at: https://www.researchgate.net/ profile/Marco_Sacco/publicati/228361391_DiFac_an_integrated_scenario_for_the_Digital_Factory/links/0deec51ac2f1e18058000000.pdf accessed on 25.01.2016)
- SACCO, M., C. REDAELLI, C. CONSTANTINESCU, G. LAWSON, M. D’CRUZ, M. PAPPAS, DiFac: Digital Factory for Human Oriented Production System, In Human-Computer Interaction. HCI Applications and Services, Part IV, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2007, LNCS 4552, pp. 1140-1149.
- SEBASTIANI, F., Machine Learning in Automated Text Categorization, ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR), vol. 34(1), 2002, pp. 1-47.
- ZAMFIRESCU, C. B., C. CÂNDEA, M. LUCA, On Integrating Agents into GDSS In: F. G. Filip, I. Dumitrache and S.S. Iliescu (Eds.) Large Scale Systems: Theory and Applications. A Proceedings volume Proceedings of the 9th IFAC / IFORS / IMACS / IFIP/ Symposium, Bucharest, Romania, 2001, Pergamon Press, an Imprint of Elsevier Science, Oxford: pp. 433-438.
- ZAMFIRESCU, C. B., C. CANDEA, On Interacting with Collective Knowledge of Group Facilitation, In: 5th International Conference on Computational Collective Intelligence Technologies and Applications – ICCCI 2013, LNAI 8083 September 11-13, Craiova, Romania, 2013, pp. 255-265.
- ZAMFIRESCU, B. C., C. CANDEA, C. RADU, A Stigmergic Approach for Social Interaction Design in Collaboration Engineering, In: Kwong, S. and Zhang, Q., eds, Neurocomputing – Bridging Machine learning and Evolutionary Computation (BMLEC) Computational Collective Intelligence, vol. 146, pp. 151-163.