A Genetic Algorithm for Solving a Container Storage Problem Using a
Residence Time Strategy
Cristina SERBAN, Doina CARP
Ovidius University of Constanta,
124 Mamaia Blvd., Constanta, 900527, Romania.
ABSTRACT: At each port of destination, some containers are unloaded from a vessel and stored in the terminal to be delivered to their customers. One of the strategies used to arrange the containers in a terminal is residence time strategy: based on their delivery deadlines, each incoming container being assigned to a priority class. The aim of this study is to determine a valid arrangement of incoming containers in a block (part) of the terminal, in the shortest amount of time, with higher priority containers located above lower priority ones. In this way, some of the main objectives of a container terminal may be achieved: avoiding further reshuffles (number of relocations) and reducing the vessel berthing time. We developed a genetic algorithm and its performance is evaluated against a random stacking strategy used as benchmark for the experiments, and through several sets of tests on control parameters. All the tests showed that, if a reliable estimation of the delivery time can be assigned to every incoming container, the proposed method may be a useful tool for container terminal operators.
KEYWORDS: Genetic algorithms, optimization, container terminals, container stacking, residence time strategy.
>>FULL TEXT: PDF
CITE THIS PAPER AS:
Cristina SERBAN, Doina CARP, A Genetic Algorithm for Solving a Container Storage Problem Using a Residence Time Strategy, Studies in Informatics and Control, ISSN 1220-1766, vol. 26(1), pp. 59-66, 2017. https://doi.org/10.24846/v26i1y201707
- Borgman, B., Asperen, E. & Dekker, R. (2010) Online rules for container stacking, OR Spectrum, 32, 687–716.
- Dekker, R., Voogd, P. & Asperen, E. (2006) Advanced methods for container stacking, OR Spectrum, 28, 563–568.
- Gheith, M. S., EL-Tawil, A. B. & Harraz, N. A. (2013) A Proposed heuristic for Solving the Container Pre-marshalling Problem, In the 19th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, edited by Ershi Qi, Jiang Shen and Runliang Dou, Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Haupt, R. L. & Haupt, S. E. (1998). Practical Genetic Algorithms, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. New York, NY, USA.
- Homayouni, S. M., Tang, S. H. & Motlagh, O. (2014) A genetic algorithm for optimization of integrated scheduling of cranes, vehicles, and storage platforms at automated container terminals, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 270, 545-556.
- Kammarti, R., Ayachi, I., Ksouri, M. & BORNE, P. (2009) Evolutionary Approach for the Containers Bin-Packing Problem, Studies in Informatics and Control, 18 (4) 315-324.
- Kumar, A., Prakash, A., Tiwari, M.K., Shankar, R. & Baveja, A. (2005) Solving machine-loading problem of a flexible manufacturing system with constraint-based genetic algorithm, European Journal of Operational Research, 175, 1043-1069.
- Lajjama, A., EL Merouani, M., Tabaa & Medouri, A. (2014) A new approach for sequencing loading and unloading operations in the seaside area of a container terminal, International Journal of Supply and Operations Management 1 (3), 328-346.
- Luo, J., Wu, Y., Halldorsson, A. & Song, X. (2011) Storage and stacking logistics problems in container terminals, OR Insight, 24, 256–275.
- Norouzi, A., Babamir, F. S., & Zaim, A. H. (2013) An Interactive Genetic Algorithm for Mobile Sensor Networks, Studies in Informatics and Control, 22 (2), 213-218.
- Salido, M. A., Sapena, O. & Barber, F. (2009) An Artificial Intelligence Planning tool for the Container Stacking Problem, In Proceedings of the 14th IEEE international conference on Emerging technologies & factory automation, edited by IEEE Press Piscataway, NJ, USA, 532-535.
- Serban, C. & Carp, D. (2016) Optimization of container stowage in a yard block using a genetic algorithm, Studies in Informatics and Control, 25 (1), 123-130.
- Steenken, D., VOß, S. & Stahlbock, R. (2004). Container terminal operation and operations research – a classification and literature review, OR Spectrum, 26, 3-49.