Design and Implementation of IoT-based Intelligent Surveillance Robot
Moon Sun SHIN1, Byung Cheol KIM2, Seon Min HWANG3, Myeong Cheol KO1
1 Department of Computer Engineering, Konkuk University,
268 Chungwon-daero, Chungju-si, Chungbuk, 27478, Republic of Korea
2 Department of Information and Communication, BaekSeok University,
76 Munam-ro, Dongnam-gu, Cheonan-si, Chungnam, 31065, Republic of Korea
3 BizForce Co. Ltd, Cheongju-si, Chungbuk, Republic of Korea
Abstract: Recently, the continually evolving robot technology has contributed to the development of a variety of robot-using service models. In particular, the robot with the artificial intelligence may be utilized in various fields of the context awareness. Conventional CCTV is installed in a fixed form and it can transfer monitored images to a central server where they are stored in the server system. The monitoring and control processes must be performed at the server side. In this paper, an intelligent surveillance robot for which Internet of Things(IoT) is used to overcome the limitations of these existing CCTV is proposed. The proposed intelligent surveillance robot is called “SMART-I”, and it can perform monitoring and control remotely. Also a DVR server is included in the robot design for the transmission and processing of large image data. The prototype of SMART-I has been developed based on IoT, and both the app client and Web client have been implemented to provide the remote monitoring and control of the robot. SMART-I can be used as an active surveillance robot. While it monitors activities, it can detect abnormal contexts that are then notified to a security manager through the sending of alarm messages to a smartphone, allowing for a quick response to the potential risk. The developed IoT-based intelligent surveillance robot can perform monitoring activities in locations such as factories, offices, and industrial sites. SMART-I can be used as a user-friendly mobile robot that provides real-time monitoring and intelligent services according to the context awareness in a variety fields for an active performance of surveillance activities.
Keywords: IoT, Surveillance robot, Intelligent service, Context awareness, Active CCTV.
CITE THIS PAPER AS:
Moon Sun SHIN, Byung Cheol KIM, Seon Min HWANG, Myeong Cheol KO, Design and Implementation of IoT-based Intelligent Surveillance Robot, Studies in Informatics and Control, ISSN 1220-1766, vol. 25(4), pp. 421-432, 2016.
Recently the development of the robot industry has been directed towards the support of intelligent convergence services. As industrial society has changed to the information society, the robot paradigm is changing the trend, as people-friendly, IT-based intelligent-service robots are developed now as an alternative to the traditional work robot. Unlike conventional robots, which were performing passive, repetitive tasks according to people’s orders, IT-based intelligent-service robots provide intelligent and proactive services through a convergence of IT and network technologies . The research on intelligent robots has been spotlighted in accordance with the development of convergence-ICT technology; here, the focus is the development of an optimized service in the application domain . In this paper, an intelligent-surveillance robot that is like the social-security robot will be developed using the Internet of Things (IoT) in connection with the recent smart environments. The proposed intelligent-surveillance robot is capable of actively monitoring and taking pictures in specific areas. Also, the robot performs real-time communication based on the IoT, and controlled and monitored remotely with the use of smart phone.
It is possible for people to enact immediate response and to prevent some kinds of accidents, if mobile CCTV or real-time monitoring exists for the identification of specific place by a smart phone.
An intelligent robot that is camera-equipped and for which the IoT is included, can be used to proactively manage the surveillance and condition monitoring of specific areas like farms, housing, factories, and material warehouses . To support an intelligent-surveillance service, the robot must perform the following functions:
Being equipped with a high-resolution CCTV camera, and it must be capable of DVR and the monitoring of the specific section; the performance of real-time video-transmission capabilities to proactively recognize situations and remote administrators; and manual and automatic four-wheel driving and line tracing where by it can be controlled by the Web or a smartphone app to increase the ease of use.
The focus of the active-surveillance robot that was developed in this paper is the rapid resolution of an abnormal situation through more than the prevention and detection of intrusion, environmental pollution and the potential disasters of a variety of fields.
The rest of the paper is organized as follows. In section 2, we explain related works of context awareness and intelligent robot. Section 3 presents the design and implementation of the IoT-based intelligent-surveillance robot and section 4 describes the test scenario and the experimental results. Lastly a brief conclusion is presented in section 5.
- ANTONIOU,, H. BOLEY, RuleML, LNCS 3323, 2004, pp. 128-138.
- BIEGEL, G., V. CAHILL, A Framework for Developing Mobile, Context-aware Applications, IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications, 2004.
- DOLGUI, A., O. AMMAR, F.HNAIEN, M. ALY, O. LOULY, A State of the Art on Supply Planning and Inventory Control under Lead Time Uncertainty, Studies in Informatics and Control, ISSN 1220-1766, vol. 22(3), 2013, pp. 255-268.
- GO, Y. C., J. C. SOHN, Context Modelling for Intelligent Robot Services using Rule and Ontology, ICACT 2005, Volume 2, 2005, pp. 813-816.
- GU, T., H. K. PUNG, Q. ZHANG, A Middleware for Building Context-Aware Mobile Services, In Proceedings of IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, 2004.
- ICT Standard Weekly, Design and Construction of Intelligent Monitoring System for CCTV, IITTA, 2013.
- KANG, S., J. SOHN, A Method of Feasibility Estimation for Proactive Robot Services, KISS 2009.
- KIM, H., K. W. LEE, Y. H. SUH, J. M. CHO, Context-Aware Server Framework for Network-based Intelligent Robot, Proceedings of Conference of Korea CAD/CAM, 2006.
- KIM, W., J. J. YANG, Agent based Context Awareness Model and Applications, Journal of KISS, No. 24, vol. 10, 2006.
- KIM, S., Y. Joo, Y. Lee, Sensible Media Simulation in an Automobile Application and Human Responses to Sensory Effects, ETRI Journal, vol. 35(6), December 2013, pp. 1001-1010.
- KIM, Y. G., H. K. KIM, S. H. YOON, S. G. LEE, K. D. LEE, Home Security Robot based on Sensor Network, SICE-ICASE International Joint Conference, 2006.
- KOVACS, G., D. BOGDANOVA, N. YUSS UPOVA, M. BOYKO, Informatics Tools, AI Models and Methods Used for Automatic Analysis of Customer Satisfaction, Studies in Informatics and Control, ISSN 1220-1766, vol. 24 (3), 2015, pp. 261-270.
- LEE, K. H., C. J. SEO, Development of User-friendly Intelligent Home Robot Focused on Safety and Security, International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems 2010, October, 27-30, 2010.
- PARK, H. S., S. B. CHO, Context-aware Service of Home Robot using Domain Knowledge-based Bayesian Network Modelling, KISS conference 2010.
- RODIC,, E. ANDRIES, Social Network as a Coordination Techniques for Multi-Robot Systems, Intelligent Systems Design and Applications, Springer, Berlin, 2013, pp. 503-13.
- SHIN, M., M. KO, Y. JU, Y .JUNG, B. LEE, Implementation of Context-Aware Based Robot Control System for Automatic Postal Logistics, Studies in Informatics and Control, ISSN 1220-1766, vol. 22(1), 2013, pp. 71-80.